This spring, Swedish fashion house Weekday celebrates a decade of denim with a wide range of new styles, washes, and updated fits. We caught up with jeans designer Johan Tegman-Langer to talk about his first pair of jeans and the future of denim.
With denim at the core of the brand, Swedish fashion house Weekday has been an integral part of Scandinavian fashion for more than a decade. This season, the brand celebrates a decade of denim with a wide range of new styles, washes, and updated fits, with focus on black and blue washes, floral prints, and tencel. We caught up with jeans designer Johan Tegman-Langer to learn more.
Do you remember your first pair of jeans?
– I don’t remember if it was actually my first pair, but I had a pair of light blue Diesel jeans that I just loved! Worn with love until the last thread.
When did you become interested in fashion?
– I think it all started when I made my first pair of jeans during a handicraft class in school. I was 15 years old and they looked like the work of a 15-year-old, but I had great fun while doing it. Today, jeans is both my profession and one of my biggest interest.
It all started when I made my first pair of jeans during a handicraft
class in school
When did you start working for Weekday?
– I started working for Weekday in their Götgatan store in 2007, and then I worked for Cheap Monday for a couple of years. I’ve worked at the Weekday head office for less then a year.
– To me, Weekday is a very innovative brand that offers well designed garments for a really affordable price, and that follows trends while still staying true to the concept of the brand.
Which is your favourite pair of jeans? And how do you usually wear them?
– I love our fit Wednesday, but my favourite wash for this spring is Friday Action. It’s in a black fabric with a blue core, which makes it look really nice when washed out.
– I mostly wear a pair of Wednesday unwashed or white together with a oversized shirt, it has become some sort of uniform for me.
What can you tell us about the Weekday spring jeans collection?
– The main focus for this spring is our blue/black look for our 5 pocket jeans. We have also worked with a tonal floral-camp print which you will see a lot of in our stores. We have also worked with white denim, which I think can be big this summer.
Where do you find inspiration?
– I take inspiration from my colleagues, and when I’m out travelling, both privately and with work.
What are your thoughts on the future of denim?
– Right now you see a lot of denim used for garments that’s not a typical denim style. It’s a fun take on it when you use a classic workwear material for a more luxury style.
– I think it would be nice to see some technical denim in the future.
See more of Weekday’s spring styles in their online shop.