With her latest resort collection Sehnsucht, Munich-based designer Alice M. Huynh wants to bring out the beauty of sadness. We’ve talked to the Alice in Wonderland of fashion.
Just like Alice in Wonderland takes her first trembling steps into the fantasy world at the other end of the rabbit hole, Munich-based fashion designer Alice M. Huynh is taking her first steps into the world of fashion. She recently launched her resort collection Sehnsucht and will soon move to New York for an internship with Alexander Wang. But the similarities with Alice in Wonderland does not end there.
– It must be destiny that my mother named me after the character of Alice in Wonderland, Alice M. Huynh says. I am just like Alice herself – naive, dreamy, melancholic, and ambitious.
Alice M. Huynh describes herself as a melancholic person who sees the beauty in sadness and things that aren’t usually recognized as beautiful. She draws inspirations from her own emotions and memories, merging them into her simple and minimal design.
– Some people might think that I am too young to understand the real meaning of life, but I’ve seen and felt a lot. My work is a piece of me, that’s the reason I put a lot of feelings into my work. It might sound a bit strange, but I feel the most inspired when I’m sad. That bittersweet taste of loneliness is like fireworks in my fingertips.
– All my emotions are sewed into every inch and stitch. I want people to feel my emotions and inspirations while wearing my design.
Sehnsucht is Alice’s resort collection for 2013/2014. The collection is made out of neoprene fabric, jersey, and jacquard, focused on details such as geometrical cuts, cut outs, and nylon yarns. With black as the dominant color, Alice has infused the feeling of Sehnsucht in each garment.
– The German word Sehnsucht is difficult to translate to other languages, but it describes a deep emotional state. Sehnsucht is a compound word, originating from an ardent longing or yearning and addiction. Sehnsucht represents thoughts and feelings about all facets of life that are unfinished or imperfect, paired with a yearning for ideal alternative experiences. It has been referred to as “life’s longings”, or an individual’s search for happiness while coping with the reality of unattainable wishes. Such feelings are usually profound, and tend to be accompanied by both positive and negative feelings.
The next stop on Alice’s journey into the world of fashion is New York, where she will start an internship with Alexander Wang in the ready-to-wear design department. And just like Alice in Wonderland, Alice M. Huynh dreams big.
– In the future I see myself in a city that suits me perfectly, working on my next collection, enjoying the sun trough the huge high loft windows.
See the lookbook for Alice M. Huynh’s collection Sehnsucht above.