With a taste for the extravagant and an eye for emerging talent, Lady Gaga has turned into a patron for young designers. One of the designers she’s fallen for is the brightly talented Iranian-Swedish Isabell Yalda Hellysaz.
Born in Iran and raised in Sweden, Isabell Yalda Hellysaz has always been interested in fashion and clothing. Beginning her career as a graphic design student, she later on decided to follow her dream and become a fashion designer. Last year she graduated top of her class from The London College of Fashion, and has since then received wide international recognition.
One of those who have fallen for Isabell’s design is star and style icon Lady Gaga, who could be seen wearing the designer’s now notorious, futuristic visor on the first promo picture for her upcoming album ARTPOP. The white-edged clear perspex was part of Isabell’s 2012 collection Antidote, inspired by Second World War uniforms, engineering design, and futuristic dream visions.
– I don’t know how it happened that Lady Gaga wore them, Isabell says. She most likely saw them and liked them. She is always out looking for new things. And she did look amazing in them, so I guess it was a nice catch. Well, I did a project designing for her in my first year of college, but I hadn’t expected this. Hopefully we will be able to work on other projects in the future.
With an aesthetic built on experimental cuts, androgynous silhouettes, and sharp tailoring, Isabell concentrates on the essence of fashion; craftsmanship, details, and materials. Her main focus is to slow down the process of manufacturing, working with a small scale production, encouraging people to take time to enjoy the garments they’re wearing.
– I just think everything is so fast moving today and its so boring.
– We never seem to take the time to enjoy a garment. I remember when I was younger, I would save my money to buy one thing, and then really enjoy wearing it. But these days everything is mass production and mass consumption. I want to design garments that don’t get thrown out after one season; clothes that can build up a persons wardrobe.
Where do you find inspirations and influences for your design?
– Inspiration is everywhere! It can be anything from a colour, to a documentary, to a person on the street, or even a dream. So it’s really hard to pin it down to one certain source.
Do you have someone in mind when you’re designing?
– No, not really. I don’t think of a specific person as I don’t like to put it into a stereotype.
Lady Gaga’s new studio album ARTPOP drops on November 8.
See more of Isabell Yalda Hellysaz’s AW12 collection Antidote above.