Today is the release of hip hop collective OIAM’s debut single Avundsjuka feat Sam E. The trio consists of swedish musicians Adam Kanyama, Samboii och Gedz. During the last 2 years they have worked on their debut EP Lyxproblem that will be released on November 26th.
How and when did you guys meet?
– We had all met before but started working together as OIAM in 2012. Gedz and Samboii went to the same high school and knew each other from there. Adam and Samboii then performed at the same show in the summer of 2012 and we’ve all worked together since.
Tell us about OIAM.
– OIAM stands for one in a million. We are a collective of different musicians with different styles and different skills. We believe that everyone is one in a million, that everyone is unique and that anyone can be OIAM.
We like to incorporate live instruments and work together with different guest artists
How would you describe your sound?
– We’d like to describe it as hip hop with a fresh sound, focusing both on lyrics and melody. We like to incorporate live instruments and work together with different guest artists.
Where do your find your inspiration?
– Our main inspiration comes from everyday life and things we all go through. Trials and tribulations.
How does your music differ from other hip hop groups?
– We don’t like to consider ourselves a group. We’re a collective and we’re open to everthing; new sounds, new members etc. We just aim to create music – not thinking it should sound in a specific way or style.
How is it working as a group compared to working solo?
– You really need to have good collaboration and communication skills. Be open to new ideas, and you can’t be stubborn. You have to work as a team and be open to everyone’s input. It also often results in better music because of it.
What does the creative process look like?
– We usually talk to the producer, tell him what kind of beat we would like. Then, most often we write one verse each and maybe get a guest artist for the chorus or some rhymes.
It reflects three young men growing up in the Swedish projects and our view on life, our problems and dreams
Tell us about your upcoming EP Lyxproblem.
– It’s consists five songs, all produced by one producer. A very broad sound touching many different topics. It reflects three young men growing up in the Swedish projects and our view on life. Our problems and dreams.
What are your hopes and dreams for the future?
– We hope to expand OIAM, make it a brand and a record label. Incorporate young talent and artists. Just to bring together creative people in general, whatever their artistic field might be.
Check out the video for Avundsjuka below.