Today Swedish rapper Jaouli “Finess” Akofely releases his debut EP Produkt av min miljö, where he has collaborated with some of Sweden’s biggest rappers. Earlier this year he released his singles Avtryck/Hela livet ut and is now taking it to the next level. Radar had a chat with him about the EP and his hopes for the future.
When did you start rapping?
– I started off by free-styling and writing poetry when I was 12 years old, and began making songs when I was about 13.
What does music mean to you?
– It means the world to me, it has saved my life in a kind of way, it has kept me focused at what I want out of life.
How would you describe your sound?
– New school with a touch of boom bap.
With the track Avtryck I just wanted to take it back to the roots, and show people that the MC still lives in me
What has it been like to collaborate with big musicians like Ken Ring?
– It has been a good experience to go with him on tours and be with him in the studio, he is like a mentor and a brother.
What was the inspiration behind your singles Avtryck/Hela livet ut?
– With the track Avtryck I just wanted to take it back to the roots, and show people that the MC still lives in me. Hela Livet ut was made to spread a good vibe, it’s about the past and the future.
Can you tell us about your upcoming EP Produkt av min miljö?
– The upcoming EP is produced by Chris Haxa, Matte Caliste, Niclas Sörman and Victor Westberg. I would say that I’m bringing a new sound to the table that I hope people will enjoy. It’s kind of dark and deep, so I think it will be good to release it now during the fall.
What’s next for Finess?
– I will drop two singles from the EP and put out some videos aswell. I will continue to work hard in the studio to finish my album that hopefully will be released in the first quarter of next year.
What are your hopes and dreams for the future?
–To have a successful career in the music industry and to help people that I believe in, to make it in the music industry.
Watch his video for “Avtryck” below and visit his Facebook page here.