This week’s mixtape is signed Chris Thompson, DJ and creative director at Stockholm hangout Story Hotel. Deriving from the smoky field parties of his teens, the mixtape is filled to the brim with good ole rock n roll.
Tell us more about your mixtape.
– I think I can link this mixtape to two things… My hippie father, and my late teens and early twenties constantly lost in a cloud of funny smoke! My dad was great growing up with. He always had the best classic rock playing around him. I grew up with all these artists (and many more to mention) playing in and around the house, riding in the car, at get togethers, pretty much everywhere!
– Growing up in small-town Virginia, it was easy to run out of places to party. But one spot that we never got enough of was my cousin’s farm. Almost every weekend we found ourselves throwing field parties on the far end of the farm. Sometimes it was just ten of us, other times there were hundreds! These parties consisted of a lot of beer drinking and ridiculous amount pot smoking. In the background you’d always find all these artists playing from someone’s truck radio.
– I think the reason I ended up doing what I do now, all started from throwing those crazy field parities as a kid! I love all types of music, but I find myself always coming back to good ole rock n roll…
When do you think one should listen to it?
– Play this during your next house party, and I guarantee the comment “what’s this?” will happen more than once!
If your life was a movie, what would be the soundtrack?
– Anything that Rick Rubin has touched works for me!